Disappointed with the Left

I’m disappointed with some of the leftists today. For example, Andrew Tanenbaum, who ran the popular electoral-vote.com website, writes the following:

One thing that is very strange is how much the exit polls differed from the final results, especially in Ohio. Remember that Ohio uses Diebold voting machines in many areas. These machines have no paper trail. Early in the campaign, Diebold CEO Walden O’Dell, a GOP fundraiser, promised to deliver Ohio to Bush. He later regretted having said that.

Oh, come on. The exit polls were just wrong. They are statistically flawed. But no, that couldn’t be it. Bush cheated!

And then he writes

Again, if you are a senior majoring in computer science and are seriously thinking of leaving the country due to the election results, you might be interested in my international English-language Masters program in parallel and distributed computer systems.

This should put to rest any doubts about the objectivity of Dr. Tanenbaum.

We didn’t just elect a totalitarian dictator. This isn’t Hitler or Stalin. Democracy is still safe. Jack booted thugs are not about to kick in the doors of dissenters. Calm down. It’s silly to think of leaving the country because Bush won.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Disappointed with the Left

1. TulipGirl says:

From the inside of the US, for those who had strong emotions tied to their opposition to Bush, it’s easy for them to grasp at anything that makes it seem unfair or illegal or oppressive.

But you know, the US democratic system WORKS. It words faaaaaaar better than most, if not all, other countries in the world.

I know many Dems are disappointed–but hey, life will go on. (And probably better than under Kerry, anyway.)

It?s silly to think of leaving the country because Bush won.

I agree. But, hey, if they wanna leave, I won’t try to talk ’em out of it. ;-)

3. Karl Thienes says:

My very liberal office today all but had their bags packed. It was an ugly day at work… Sad…very sad.

4. Patrick says:

I don’t know Dr. Tanenbaum, but you know I heard enough people talking about leaving if Bush won that there have to be at least a couple of people doing it. I do know some Aussies and Brits that are planning on not renewing their work visas now.

I’m not planning on leaving the country as a result of this election. I’m praying that the next 4 years Bush will be a better president than he was the last 4. No matter what anyone thinks of him, he has to be the most divisive president since LBJ.

As for the true depression that came out if this election, you have to understand that it feels like it’s no longer our beliefs but rather our personages that are being attacked. I may disagree with you, but that doesn’t mean that I even dislike you. That doesn’t seem to be a view that many people who disagree with me hold. I have literally been called an ungodly satanist by someone that asked me if I was voting for Bush. Literally. If that doesn’t breed resentment, I don’t know what will.

5. I don?t know Dr. Tanenbaum

My point was only about his objectivity, as he ran one of the more popular election sites.

I’m actually all in favor of liberals leaving the country, particularly those from swing states. Provided they renounce their citizenship or at least don’t vote. Heh.

But surely you must agree that citizens planning to flee the country is overreacting, and the Diebold thing is paranoia. Don’t you?

I?m praying that the next 4 years Bush will be a better president than he was the last 4. No matter what anyone thinks of him, he has to be the most divisive president since LBJ.

Divisiveness is not inherently evil. Abe Lincoln was pretty divisive. For that matter, so was Jesus.

it feels like it?s no longer our beliefs but rather our personages that are being attacked.

No conservative that I know of has written anything like Jane Smiley‘s diatribe.

Right on Robert. I would never call Patrick an ungodly satanist, but I am tired of being called stupid,(one of the nicer names). There is nothing wrong with being divisive. I have always been a black and white guy. May I quote the LORD?
    Matthew 10
    32 So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, 33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.
    34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household. 37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”