Where Have All the Backbones Gone?

Here’s an article worth reading:

Note the gender of the author.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Where Have All the Backbones Gone?

1. Jake says:

I didn’t read the entire article, so I am not sure her entire point.

What I want the world to do beginning with Christians is to allow Men to be Men and Women to be Women! You know what? Wouldn’t it be grand! Think about it.

Let men be rough, yet loving in the way Bonanza was! That is what the church and the world needs. Let Men be men, and let women be women and all that goes with it.

If the media would stop tearing apart men, and glorifying the women that is more man than woman, then we will see the world a better place.

A woman that stays home is every bit of a woman that works. A Man that is rough and takes care of his family is no less of a man.

Let each be his/her gender, and let us build up everyone instead of tear them down.

2. The article was basically complaining that men will not be men – “men” as distinct from “males”.

We should _encourage_ and _expect_ men to be masculine and women to be feminine. Even demand it. It’s not OK to switch roles. It’s not OK to be androgynous. It’s not OK to feminize men.

3. John says:

I can agree with her basic point, but I found the spirit of her writing to be lacking the leg of love you mentioned in a previous post. She was trying so hard to be controversial and get a rise out of people that it was grating.

4. I agree that she seemed to be trying hard to be controversial.

Who did you think she was being unloving toward?

So you’re OK, I’m not OK?

I’ll use my Bible, thank you very much — not some grating harpie telling me what she needs me to be.

6. Which thing makes you not OK? Have you switched the roles of “head” and “helper” with your wife? Are you androgynous? Feminized? What have you taken offense at?

When you say it’s not OK for “roles” to be switched, I don’t think it would be unreasonable for me to assume you include stay-at-home parenting duties, as well. Or have you changed your mind about that?

8. Perhaps it is a reasonable assumption, but it is incorrect. I was only commenting on passive men who allow their wives to head the family.

My position on domestic duties is the same as it’s always been.

9. Larry Gross says:

“Well, whatever happened it must change, or America is doomed.”

Brethren, on the morning of 9/11 I was living at a rescue mission in Oregon, doing the mission laundry (my assigned task). At about 5:45am (PST) the TV behind the intake desk was on and tuned to MSNBC, as I brought a load of towels up front. They were covering the first tower fire, without stating a cause. In my heart I said this must be terrorists, and then went about my other tasks. Later that morning, after another plane had struck the second tower, it was clear to everyone that this was a terrorists attack. In the days that followed, the world was shaken by the horror of it all. Everyone seemed to be wanting revenge and saying ‘God Bless America’, yet I don’t remember one person say that God was bringing judgement on America or calling America to repent of her sins.

The same holds true for this young womans oberservations. Not once in that article did she mention the word ‘sin’ or ‘repent’ or ‘holy’. She reminds me of a blind person standing on a busy street corner with a white cane, not really secure in the knowledge that there is a cure for the social circumstances she accuratly discribes. Mere theology, mere philosophy, mere comparrisons; these are all useless without the power of faith found residing in the truth of Jesus blood. We can observe, debate and wring our hands evening, morning and afternoon; but without the willingness to suffer for the truth then it’s useless. From everything I have seen these past 15+ years, it would take a major miracle (MAJOR MIRACLE) from God to turn this country around from it’s appointment with destruction. Isa 57:1 The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.

10. Larry Gross says:

Song 6:10 Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?

Gen 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Rev 19:11-13 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

I believe that when Christ returns for his ‘bride’ He will be looking for a warrior bride, not some limp-wristed ‘Nancy-fied’ sob sister type of bride. And the two shall be one. Christ’s bride shall be terrible to look upon; terrible as an army with banners. Terrible in love, terrible in courage, terrible in purity, terrible in virture; not loving their lives, even to the death. The hearts of men shall tremble at such virtue, whereas the response of the Bridegroom shall be:

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. Zep 3:17